Sunday, February 26, 2012

Peter Remembered

Peter Carson Minkwitz died at home in Point Richmond, Saturday, 11 February 2012 of lymphoma at age 67.  He was diagnosed in December 2010, went through several rounds of chemotherapy at Kaiser and a bone marrow transplant at the Stanford Cancer Center.   He was preceded in death by parents Mary and Earl Minkwitz.
Peter was born September 7, 1944 in Hamilton, Australia however he spent his early years at the Stanford Village, on-campus housing, where Earl attended school.
He met Doreen Hardy in 1986 and they married June 21, 1987 at sunset in Big Sur, CA on a bluff overlooking the Pacific.   Their reception followed a few months later at ‘Oak Hollow’, the Minkwitz Family Farm in Kelseyville.
Peter attended Lowell High School and had been working on their 50th Class Reunion .  He graduated from UC Berkeley where he was captain of the Fencing Team.
Peter and his six siblings grew up sailing small boats on San Francisco's Lake Merced. "There were always boats outside being sanded, rigged or repaired," says Kit Stycket, a friend of the entire family's since childhood. "The basement stored all the gear necessary for the four or five small boats that the Minkwitz children were sailing." 
After graduating from UC Berkeley and leaving the corporate world behind Peter went to work for Weeks-Howe-Emerson, a fishing tackle and marine supply outfit. In fact, he designed, built and managed their flagship retail store in San Francisco, Downtown Marine Supply, before moving on to become the yard manager for Svendsen's Boat Works, a position he held for more than 15 years.   Peter later trained under Jim Jessie to earn his surveyor accreditation with the National Association of Marine Surveyors. He bought Jessie's business when Jim and Diana left the Bay on their circuit of the North Pacific in the '90s. "People knew he was one of the good guys," says Allison Lehman of Yachtfinders/Windseekers. "Every surveyor in the Bay is torn up about his passing."  I was there when the doctor told him he only had a few weeks left to live," recalls Lehman. "He was extremely brave. He looked at me and said, 'Well, I've got a lot to do.' And, wouldn't you know, he got most of it accomplished."
One of the things Peter left unfinished was the refit and sale of his Ingrid 38 China Rose. Built over the course of seven years on a small lot along Mission Creek and above what is now McCovey Cove.  Peter enlisted the help of his entire family during the early '70s to finish what several people have described as "the most beautiful ferro cement boat you'll ever see." Stycket laughed that the younger siblings felt like they were indentured servants because every weekend was spent working on the boat.  Doreen notes that China Rose is so fair that "every once in a while we’d hear a tapping on the hull...'what material is this?  Is it fiber glass?'”  They spent many happy years living aboard and sailing China Rose to the Delta and on coastal cruises.  
Peter wanted to make sure the boat got a facelift and was sold so Doreen wouldn't have to deal with it after his passing.  Stycket volunteered to head up the effort and dozens of friends have turned out to lend a hand. "Peter was a perfectionist," she says, "so we're doing it the way he would have wanted." In addition to the manual labor provided by friends, companies such as Svendsen's, Bay Marine Boatworks and Hanson Rigging have donated supplies. Stycket has even set up a 'Friends of China Rose' Facebook page to post updates and enlist recruits.  If you'd like to help out, the crew is usually working every weekend at Sven's - contact Kit at (916) 712-3571 or k11747@yahoo.com for details.
Once China Rose is finished, Lehman says she'll help Doreen sell her. "I feel privileged and lucky to have been a friend of Peter's," she says. "I'll do whatever I can to help." 
In addition to his contributions to the marine industry Peter immersed himself in the Point Richmond community serving as President of the Point Richmond Neighborhood Council for several years.  "Peter loved the village feel of The Point and our little neighborhood" his wife Doreen shared.  "Building our home was huge source of pride for him and a project we shared for 1 1/2 years with only ONE disagreement!  Peter was a genuine human being incapable of anything other than honesty, generosity and integrity at the highest level. He was a brilliant problem solver, a warm, thoughtful and loving soul.”
Peter is survived by his beloved Doreen, siblings Ed Christwitz, Meg Brown, John Minkwitz, Harriett Scampoli, Ellen Barrett, and Andrew Minkwitz. 
A project Peter was actively involved in is the Ferry Point Tunnel Mural in Point Richmond that is waiting to be painted on the Bay side of the tunnel and will now include something special about Peter.  In lieu of flowers donations in Peter’s name may be sent to the Point Richmond Neighborhood Council, P.O. Box 70386, Point Richmond, CA 94807 designated for the Ferry Point Tunnel Mural fund.  
Doreen wishes to thank:  Leslee Edward and the Lotsa Helping Hands “Peter’s Notebook” community, Dick Horn and Jerry Keefe, Dave Hardy, Laura Larkin, Harriet Scampoli and all Minkwitz sibs, Sheri and David Espar, Julia Caldwell, Deb Clark, Ralf Morgan, Pam Hyland, Buzz Baylis, Allison Leeman, Kit Stycket and the Friends of ‘China Rose’, Bay Marine Boatworks, Svendsen’s Boat Works and Hansen Rigging, Kaiser Oakland (especially the Chemo Angels), Sunny Scott, Dr. Wen-kai Weng and the Stanford Cancer Center Bone Marrow Transplant team.
Friends of ‘China Rose’ include:  Pelican Fleet 1, Martin Flaherty Rue Flaherty, Dick Loomis, Jonathan Livingston, Jesse Wedler, Matt Nobel, PJ Foley, Jacob and Liz Abrahams, Freddy Andersen, Chris Corlett, Stephan Canright, Julia Canright, Ellen Minkwitz-Barrett, Andrew Minkwitz, Kim Desenberg, Victor Zarich, Mary Barrett, Harriet Minkwitz-Scampoli, Joe Abeyta, Jill Lutz, Bill and Wendy Doll, with advisory help from Commodore Thompkins and Josh Pryor.

A date of remembrance is pending.
Funeral Blues – W.H. Auden
Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone.
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling in the sky the message He is Dead,
Put crêpe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever, I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun.
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

13 comments:

  1. Peter was a very special man. I am blessed to have been able to call him my friend. My deepest and most sincere sympathies go to Doreen and the entire family. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful tribute to a beautiful man. We will miss him greatly and always. We can only imagine how much he will be missed by people who knew him longer than we. Our hearts go out to Doreen, his family and their friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Zoomie," by the way, is Pam Hyland. Because I have a blog on blogspot, the computer automatically included my "screen name."

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful tribute, of course it is! It was written by the Love of His LIfe - Doreen. This is the definition of what "Love of Your Life" really means. Only someone you have spent a good portion of your life with can say....."you are the love of my life."... because you really do love their life time they have spent with you. This describes Peter and Doreen. They loved each others life, enjoyed the ups and downs and always spent time with each other thinking of new ways to enjoy life together. Memories are a gift from God because they are one of the few things we are allowed to take with us for the eternities. Alisa (sister-in-law)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter was one of the loveliest people in my life. I first met him when I was 6 years old! He was eleven at the time and I adored him as an elegant grown up "older brother" whom I looked up to. My heart goes out to Doreen, the great love of his life, and to all of his friends and family.
    Love,
    Andrea Way

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peter worked at Weeks-Howe-Emerson Co in SF during the 70's; I worked there during school breaks and after school. My first real crush was on Peter; he was dynamic, intelligent, passionate about everything. I'm so sorry to hear that he's gone and for your loss. Memories will suffice for now, but hopefully you'll be reunited in eternity.

    Diane (De La Torre) Mattson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      I worked there with Peter too. Great memories of you brothers..Tommy, Jimmy and little Paulie. I met Lucas last summer. Please let your dad Ed know.
      Kit

      Delete
  7. Laura SchlichtmannMarch 18, 2012 at 8:51 PM

    Peter was a childhood friend of one of my older brothers, Dan. Earl, Mary, Peter, and the other Minkwitzes were a great family. I think Dan and Peter gradually lost touch after my family moved to the burbs -- no e-mail then. Ironically, I came across Peter's newspaper obituary because my mother died the day before he did, and I was scanning for formats for post-memorial obituaries. I told my brothers about the web memorial, and they agreed: from Peter's big smile, the lovely on-line tribute, and the comments above, it's clear that Peter stayed the same engaging person we knew as a boy -- smart, capable, curious, as genuinely nice as could be. It's wonderful to find a life that stayed so true, but the loss is all the greater. Our sincere condolences to Doreen (whom we never had the pleasure of meeting) and the Minkwitz family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peter Minkwitz........was one amazing guy, and a very cool brother-in-law. Of the many things I was impressed with about him is his keen intellect. He seemed to have a grasp on so many topics. I remember him sitting in their home in the morning reading the Chronicle. He seemed to be able to speak to any topic I found in the paper, and many things that were not. He was so smart. And I remember my wife and I staying on China Rose, falling to sleep to its gentle rocking and the faint sound of the lapping waves on her sides. How peaceful. And I remember marveling at his genius and the meticulous attention to detail that went into its creation. What a masterpiece (not to mention the home they built). And he was a person of great accomplishment, and contributed much to his community, but never sought the spotlight.

    I was always grateful for his love and devotion to my sister. He was such a fun guy to be around and he is missed terribly. Good to know that this not the end. And until then, we'll try and follow your lead Peter, by keeping our sails pointed into the wind.

    Dale Hardy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I spent 26 years in the boatyards as a rigger and electrician . I started out in Annopolis Md. I worked at Svends over 10 years. I always saw him with a smile and encouragement whenever problems showed up. I can honestly say he was the best foreman/boss I ever had. I rememember one time our welder had a beef with something, Pete had the crew meet at Mc Grathes Pub and the problem was solved by next day. Pete didnt drink much, the welder had to vent . I will always remember his smile, beard, his boat and his empathy for for the dirty, filthy working men under his command. Never thought I would out live you, friend. Love Tom Clift

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Last time we talked, Peter and I had one of our normal "solve the worlds problems lunches" He recommended a film "Senna" I Recommended he look at the Times 1000 best films list. he reflected and said "that is a good Idea" He seemed resolute strong and ready to face the challenge. I am still sad that challenging journey did not end as planned.
    You were a dear friend and a treasured confidant.
    Enrique LaRoche

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is very good blog.I am also looking for this from a long time.Many people like to visit here.I have seen many things over here.It is very good.

    Marine Engineer

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sad to find out that Peter is no longer with us. He surveyed my sailboat Satori before I bought her and his work was of the utmost professionalism. He generously answered all my questions while he was doing the survey and explained everything that he was finding. I did a search on him today to have him survey her again for sale and discovered the sad news. The bay area boating community truly lost a consummate professional.

    Richard Nagy

    ReplyDelete